- South Carolina became a state in 1788. It was the 8th state in the union.
- South Carolina is nicknamed "The Palmetto State."
- South Carolina was named for King Charles 1 of England.
- Fort Sumter, in Charleston harbor of the coast of South Carolina, was the beginning site of the Civil War. It began when the Union army fired on Fort Sumter.
- Andrew Jackson, the 7th US president, was born in South Carolina.
- South Carolina's Grand Strand- the Atlantic coastline- stretches for 60 miles and is one of the United States' most popular tourist destinations.
- Charleston was the first city in South Carolina and is the second largest.
- Columbia, South Carolina's capitol is the largest city in the state.
South Carolina: The Palmetto State (Exploring the States)
Net Numbers: A South Carolina Number Book (Count Your Way Across the USA) (America by the Numbers)
A Primary Source History of the Colony of South Carolina (Primary Sources of the Thirteen Colonies and the Lost Colony)
The South Carolina Colony (Thirteen Colonies (Lucent))
And that's a look at the state of South Carolina. Don't forget to click below to learn about the other states in the series.