We received for our review the entire ninth grade literature set. This includes:
- Henry V Student book
- Henry V Teacher's guide
- Beowulf Student book
- Beowulf Teacher's guide
- Canterbury Tales student book
- Canterbury Tales Teacher's guide
- Sir Gawain and the Green Knight Student book
- Sir Gawain and the Green Knight Teacher's guide
The set doesn't include the actual book to read, and there are specific versions of the books recommended on the Memoria Press product page. The books can be purchased separately through Memoria Press or from another source. Although we took a look at all of the guides during our review, Charles- who was using the guides- chose to read Sir Gawain and the Green Knight during the review period. I purchased the book for him, and we were set.
About Memoria Press
The Literature Guides
- The Pre-Grammar/Preparation section is meant to prepare the student for reading that section. There will be something to prompt him to look for the main idea he'll be reading about or to guide him to recognize the plot. Although these sections differ a little in the different study guide, this section is always the shortest.
- The Grammar/Presentation section helps the student get comfortable with the reading with reading notes, vocabulary words, and basic comprehension questions.
- The Logic/Dialectic section is meant to help the student make connections with what he's learned in order to help him understand the main point of the reading. There are Socratic discussion questions that lead to a deeper understanding.
- The Rhetoric/Expression section is designed to help the student express the theme of the passage, an idea that Memoria Press calls the "Central One Idea." In this section the student summarizes the passage, writes what he considers the theme and why, and chooses an essay to write.
Our Use of the Guide and Our Thoughts
Twitter (@MemoriaPress) - https://twitter.com/MemoriaPress
Instagram (@memoriapress) - https://www.instagram.com/memoriapress/
LinkedIn - https://www.linkedin.com/company/memoria-press?trk=nav_account_sub_nav_company_admin
Pinterest - https://www.pinterest.com/memoriapress/
Google+ - https://plus.google.com/u/0/b/102017568472649365859/104379865092561103366/about?_ga=1.103684480.147808133.1453409903